Designed, developed, and marketed entertainment and productivity apps for iOS.
Created custom animations and UI elements with a priority on tactile interaction and immediate responsiveness.
Swift, Python, OpenGL, imagemagick, SpriteKit, CloudKit, GameKit, iOSSwift, WatchKit (Apple Watch), iOSObjective-C, CoreData, Python, OpenCV, Tesseract OCR, PIL, iOS
- Rapidly adopted and integrated new Apple technologies during beta product launches – including support for new devices, beta iOS versions, CoreData, CloudKit, WatchKit, and SpriteKit.
Full stack engineer with years of experience developing software and designing systems for the web, mobile, and server.
Accomplished in building for scalability, eliminating performance bottlenecks, and developing for security.
Leader able to organize teams that turn ideas into requirements into finished products.
- Client Side
- Server Side
- Python 2/3, CherryPy, Django, Flask, SQLAlchemy, WSGI, GraphQL, REST, JSON-RPC, PHP, Java, C#
- Docker, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, SaltStack, Puppet, Jenkins, Travis, Tox, Git, NGINX, HAProxy, Linux
- Oversaw volunteer and contract software developers to effectively direct the development of an open source event registration system.
- Mentored junior developers into accomplished senior developers via code review, design discussions, and personal support.
- Overhauled legacy codebase that was locked into a monolithic single-process, single-server deployment; created a distributed multi-server system capable of handling tens of thousands of badge sales during the opening moments of MAGFest preregistration launch.
- Redesigned IT and deployment infrastructure, moving from a series of manually created servers and ad-hoc scripts to full configuration management, following the principle of "Infrastructure as Code".
- Created repeatable, automated, distributed cloud deployments, drastically reducing administration overhead and configuration errors.
Developed service monitoring and reporting front/back-end using Django,
jQuery, Bootstrap, HTML5, CSS3, and PostgreSQL.
Django, jQuery, Bootstrap, HTML5, CSS3, and PostgreSQL
- Led teams of up to five direct reports through complete software lifecycle – from inception to finished product, using iterative design and prototyping, with automated testing, packaging, and deployment.
Designed and implemented a suite of secure messaging, content management, and account management products.
PHP, Propel ORM, Phing, Ext JS, PostgreSQLPylons, SQLAlchemy, Ext JS, Tornado Web Server, Apache Thrift, PostgreSQL, MySQLCherryPY, SQLAlchemy, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3, OpenLDAP, PostgreSQL, Redis
Firefox Extension communicating through a custom designed proxy server written in Java.
- Established company interview style and made department wide hiring decisions. Led in-person and phone interviews. On-boarded new hires and mentored junior developers.
Developed vessel boarding and safety inspection app for Pocket PC using C# for the interface,
backed by ASP.Net web services talking to a SQL Server database.
Pocket PC, Tablet PC, C++, C#, Visual Basic.NET, WSDL/SOAP, IIS, SQL Server
Created geospatial vessel tracking display using Google Earth with an embedded .Net ActiveX control.
Consumed and correlated real-time vessel positions with historic vessel tracking data using a sharded SQL Server database.
Google Earth, Visual Basic.NET, ASP.NET, WSDL/SOAP, IIS, SQL Server
Prototyped new security models, including single sign-on via Active Directory and
intranet data access through corporate firewall.
C#, ASP.NET, WSDL/SOAP, IIS
Developed Perl scripts to parse vessel position reports, calculate course deviation, and
predict tracking via dead reckoning. Eliminated significant bugs in mission critical C++ code for vessel tracking program.
Perl, Borland C++, Oracle
Open Source Projects github.com/RobRuana
Sphinx extension to support NumPy and Google style Python docstrings.
Native iOS interface for the snopes.com urban legend and rumor debunking website.
Command line tool to generate Magic: The Gathering proxy card PDF sheets.
A collection of helpful Python utilities.
Python web app server with support for exposing web services and running background tasks.
Minor in Computer Science, Minor in Mathematics